Monday, September 19, 2011

I yam what I yam... and I yam one!

This Saturday was Remy's birthday party, and we had a fun time!  It was my first time putting together an actual party, and it turned out really well.  I think the party was more for Ben and me as parents; a celebration of our first year of successful parenting.  

I decided to do a sailor theme, thanks to my friend Rachele.  I received inspiration here and here.  I also used some free printables from here for the cupcake toppers and Remy's birthday sign, which I failed to take a picture of.  I didn't like the shapes on the cupcake toppers, so I used the blank ones and downloaded a free font that went better with the theme. The colors turned out a lot darker when I printed them out on cardstock, but I thought they were still pretty cute.


I decided that it would be cute to have Remy wear a sailor shirt, but I didn't want to make anything too time consuming.  I normally wouldn't have Remy wear a themed outfit for his birthday party, but with October just around the corner, I decided it could double as his Halloween costume.  I planned everything out in my head using two t-shirts to put together a sailor top.  The only problem was that I couldn't find plain t-shirts in the right size.  I adapted my plan, and used two onesies instead.  And I have to say, it turned out much better than I had imagined.  Maybe I'll put together a tutorial because it was super easy.

 Front

Back

For Remy's smash cake, I decided to make a round cake and put a sailboat on top.  It was super easy, and only required a bamboo skewer and paper.  It was my kind of cake, because it was inexpensive.  



For party favors, I decided to make sailboat cookies.  I love the way decorated cookies and cakes look and I've been wanting to try my hand at it for a while, so it was my chance to splurge on a pastry bag and tip set.  My friend Penny helped me decorate the cookies, and she is my craft mentor because she is so talented.  I decided to package them in some inexpensive bags I bought from Walmart.  I shredded some blue paper I already had in our shredder and put it in the bottom of the bags like confetti.



For food, we just made up some sandwiches using rolls from Costco.  We also bought some lunch-size bags of chips and grapes, and we were set.  My friend Nancy helped me with the food prep.


We ate outside and had a great time with our party guests.  It turns out that outside is the best place to eat a smash cake.


I was even able to get Remy to eat a sandwich before it was cake-eating time.


And then we gave Remy his cake:


My favorite part in the video is when Remy tries to fling the frosting off his hands, but it's stuck.  I'm no sure why the color in the video is so blue.  It seems almost all videos from our camera end up that way, but we were able to take some cute pictures of Remy that turned out better.

 Remy is experiencing the sugar high

Yum yum!

 All done Mom!

UPDATE:  The title of the post comes from Popeye.  Popeye is a sailor man, hence the connection to our sailor-themed birthday party.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like it was a blast! We wish we could have been there to celebrate with you. we miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remy's party turned out really cute! Can't believe he is one!

    ReplyDelete