Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas all December Long

I have been slacking getting up our holiday pictures this year. Christmas was very enjoyable this year, even though we didn't have the opportunity to go up to Idaho and spend it with family. Ben had to work on Christmas Day, so we spent our holidays hunkered down in Utah. It actually turned out nice because we didn't have to worry about traveling (I hate unpacking), and we had a little bit of extra money because we didn't have traveling expenses.


Our Christmas Tree

Our presents


Christmas Eve was nice for us, as we drove up to Sunset and ate lunch with one of Ben's friends from work and his family. It was my first experience eating chicken a la king, and I must say it was delicious. We brought baked bree cheese as an appetizer and ate to our heart's content. Remy did really well around new people, and eventually fell asleep. Ben and I decided to head home early so that we missed the holiday traffic. When we got home, we prepped for our Christmas turkey dinner by brining the turkey. Afterward, we decided to open up presents, as Ben had to work the next day until 3:00pm, and there was no way I could wait that long to open my gifts. I'll admit, I am very much like a child at Christmas because I love the anticipation of gift giving and surprises. This becomes very difficult though because Ben and I are not very good at keeping secrets and surprises from each other. During the month of December, we have received several gifts from each other, which were "Christmas" presents, but used immediately. For example, I received a new knife set as well as a food processor for Christmas, but they were never wrapped and put under the tree. Ben received the new Assassin's Creed Brotherhood game and the Baby Bjiorn baby carrier he was wanting, early in December which were never wrapped and put under the tree. It is rather surprising we even had gifts under the tree for each other this year.



Remy received a Christmas outfit from my parents, and some toys and books from Ben's parents. The toys and book are starting to come in handy now as Remy is getting older and paying more attention to the things around him.

Ben received a webcam for Christmas so that he can Skype with family. I figured it is a good way for extended family to communicate with us as well as see our handsome little boy. He also received the complete Seinfeld series, but we sent that back so that he could get a charcoal BBQ.  I am excited for it, but maybe more for the grilled food this summer. Ben also got two fleece pullovers, which have been really nice.

I received a new pair of tennis shoes, which were sorely needed (the last pair I had was purchased by my mom when I came home from my mission four years ago). Ben also bought me a new cookbook, which has become something of a tradition every year. This year, it was America's Test Kitchen Healthy Cookbook, and I am anxious to try some new recipes. I also received some new pants for working out at the gym. I also received some money from Ben's parents.




Lastly, from my parents we received a Christmas orange.  For all of you who are unaware of our Adamson family tradition, my parents always give us money each year for Christmas, but in different and interesting ways.  One year, it was in a bookmark, a stick in the mud, a coconut, a puzzle, etc.  This year we received a box of oranges, with a "special" orange inside.  My dad inserted a plastic orange and had drilled a hole in it and put the money inside.  I'm not quite sure how they're going to top it next year.  The money went towards a new dresser for our bedroom.

Overall, Christmas was a blast, and nice enough, we might just stay in Utah next year as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment