Thursday, September 16, 2010

The New Addition

Ben and I are quite pleased to have welcomed a new addition to our family. In fact, several months ago, Ben labeled the baby's due date as "New Addition Due" on our calendar. We had a good laugh because it sounds more like a work project than an expected baby.

After nine months of waiting, our little boy Remington made his long-anticipated debut. All weekend I had contractions, but they weren't regular and lasted just long enough to make sure that I couldn't fall asleep. Finally Sunday, the contractions fell into a pattern and were long enough that Ben and I made the trip to the hospital around 10:30pm. We were admitted and I was already 3 1/2 centimeters dialated.



Last picture of me with my prego belly

Over the next several hours, the contractions got more and more painful and much closer together. I had planned from the beginning to labor unmedicated, so as we walked around the hospital I practiced the breathing techniques from our Lamaze class. However, my lack of sleep combined with nausea began to take a toll on me. The nausea medication didn't work, and after vomiting several times, the nausea began to interfere with my breathing techniques which made the pain much more difficult to manage. And, I still hadn't progressed much in my labor as I was only at 4 cm. So I knew it was time for another course of action and asked for an epidural.



And it really was the best thing ever, for me at least!!! I didn't need any Pitocin, and my water broke immediately after. I was able to doze and catch up on some much needed rest. I was able to relax so that the rest of the labor went smoothly and quickly and I dialated at about 1 cm per hour. It didn't even affect the ability to push, because as the baby got lower, I could feel the pressure of the contractions.



Sleeping like a baby



Husbands get exhausted too

My mom arrived just in time to be there for the Remy's birth. She traveled from Idaho, leaving at around 4:30 am and arriving just as I was at 10 cm dialated.



My mom and Ben were a big help during the pushing phase, which actually only took 50 minutes. My OB was out of town celebrating his 40th wedding anniversary, so another doctor delivered the baby. Everything went well and on Monday September 13, at 12:30pm, our baby made his debut, weighing in at 5 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches long.





You can see his slight conehead

I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was to hold my baby for the first time. As they handed him to me, I memorized every little feature and I felt like I knew my baby and could recognize him anywhere. His crying quieted down as soon as I started talking to him, and for the first time, I knew motherhood is truly a divine calling.



My hospital stay certainly has mixed reviews; there were excellent nurses and horrible nurses. And it is always debatable whether you are able to rest more at home or in the hospital. I was extremely upset when the nurses took Remy away the first time to take his vitals. He had low blood sugar, so they told Ben they needed to give him something right away, and didn't even discuss as an option returning him to me to feed. I guess it didn't matter much anyway, because he vomited up the formula afterward, but I was upset by the backhanded nature of the whole thing. I was, on the other hand, very impressed with the nurses that were supportive of breastfeeding. Because of Remy's low blood sugar, I was really worried when he wouldn't wake up to feed. One of the nurses though was very supportive and brought in a breast pump so that I could pump and finger feed the baby.

Other great hospital moments:



Ben's four foot couch/bed


Remy awake and alert



Remy and Daddy



And, finding out how exactly how big newborn clothes are

I was definitely ready to leave by the time the two days were up, and very excited to be going home with my new baby boy.



Family photo



Me, my mom, and Remy

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and Ben! I can't believe it was a year ago that we sat at work talking about the future, and now the future is here for you two! Enjoy everything with tiny Remy, he is so cute! Glad your mom got to be there with you. The baby room turned out so cute, I love that you've made it a comfortable place for you guys to be in on those long nights. Motherhood looks good on you, I'm just so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWE! I love little Remy!

    ReplyDelete